7/15/11

It's All About The Food!

The past few months have been busy ones in this Food Snob's world. Been meaning to blog, but life has been so full that I haven't taken the time until now. But having (very) recently posted new pictures, I wanted to write a little bit about some of them.

Back in May, my beloved and I took a week long trip to sunny California to celebrate our 30th anniversary. Highlights included food, food, and more food!

Driving through Salinas Valley, 90 miles of farmland otherwise known as America's Salad Bowl, was a definite favorite as Doc stopped over and over for me to get out, walk through, and take pictures of these amazing vegetable fields. By far, my favorite was of artisan lettuces, where gorgeous red leaves lined up alongside rows of brilliant green ones as far as the eye could see. It was all I could do not to pick an armful to take back to the car for a vegetarian feast.

Leeks grew in gigantic fields, as did cauliflower, asparagus...the list goes on and on. Strawberry and Cherry stands were dotted along the highway, with acreage where they grew nearby. Baskets of both were purchased to enjoy as we drove. Gilroy and Castroville were on our route, billed respectively as the garlic and artichoke capitals of the world.

Meals were eclectic as we stopped first at a Whole Foods in Carmel, and raided the specialty sections for a Dallas Maverick playoff watching feast. We left loaded down with a variety of amazing olives, roasted tomatoes, sea salt/rosemary ciabatta, Irish butter, fresh basil, nitrate free pepperoni, cheeses, and wine. You can see a picture of it at the lower half of my blog. Each bite yielded reactions of "Mmmm, mmmm, GOOD!"

The Black Cat Bistro, a top stop in Cambria, was thoroughly enjoyed as they greeted my husband and me with "Happy Anniversary" and complimentary champagne. My eyes just about rolled back in my head upon tasting their amazing Semi-soft organic sheep's milk gouda and Triple creme cow, goat and sheep milk from Piemonte, Italy. The delight continued with my entree selection of Seared Sea Scallops with Corn pudding, tomatillo cream, sautéed mushrooms, and brown butter. And for dessert, I chose a Salted Caramel Tart with a shortbread crust, bittersweet ganache and la fleur sea salt. Paired with a steaming cup of rich coffee, it was a flawless way to end our evening. I could have died that night knowing my last meal was one of complete perfection. If you're ever in Cambria, this is a sure bet for the finest of dining, exceptional service, and charming ambience.

Shops featuring sourdough bread, international olive oils, and chocolate were treasures to slowly browse and enjoy, tasting various samples and drooling over the vast selection of flavors, textures, and distinct aromas. Dark Cherry Balsamic Vinegar, Meyer Lemon Olive Oil, Asian Dipping Oil, and San Francisco Sourdough all made their way into my baskets and back to Texas to share with my family. And most definitely, chocolate confections were bought to be enjoyed during our trip.

So many culinary wonders, and while we had a super great time, I was happy to get back into our kitchen again to work on new creations of my own.

I hope that you enjoy the pictures as much as I enjoy sharing them with you. Next blog is going to be about the amazing Mary Crumpler and the honor I had in helping make her June homecoming all that she had dreamed.

Happy Eating!
Polly~ The Food Snob

No comments:

Post a Comment