9/28/11

Cooking For Those I Love Best

I love when my husband or sons (AND daughters-in-law) request something that they'd like to have, whether it's dinner or dessert.

A couple of weeks ago, I created a layered dish w/brown rice, sauted hatch chile peppers, red onions, garlic, and turkey (which I'd baked earlier that day). I made a sour cream sauce to top it with, substituting Greek yogurt for the sour cream, and adding freshly ground cumin for a Mexican flair. That meal got raves, especially from Daniel, who requested that we have it AGAIN, and a couple of days ago he added cheesecake to his culinary wishlist.

So, early this morning just before leaving for basketball practice (two of my boys play, and I'm also currently coaching a varsity girls' homeschool team) I put some chicken breasts on to simmer, knowing that Michael would be there to keep an eye on the pot.

Once back at home, I deboned the chicken and set it aside. As you'll see pictured, a pot of soup was quickly put together from veggies in the fridge and freezer, as well as some previously made marinara that I always keep on hand. Once this was going, I put on 3 cups of brown rice, using some of the remaining broth in which to cook it. In no time, I had another one of those favored chicken/rice/sour cream sauce dishes completed. Right now, it's sitting in the oven waiting to be heated through.
Yesterday, I baked a brown sugar cheesecake, and in the fridge it went this morning. Just a few minutes ago, I made a rich and gooey homemade caramel sauce. Since my sister-in-law, Rebecca Robinson (owner of Swirlz Bakery Boutique), introduced me to her AMAZING salted caramel cupcakes, I've been hooked. So, (to please myself) a few grains of Mediterranean sea salt were sprinkled in, and the sauce poured over the cheesecake. Once it cools down, back in the fridge it will go.
Two meals, a half gallon of extra chicken broth, and a dessert later, I am now ready to take a break and enjoy the rest of the evening.
I remain forever grateful for these simple pleasures in life, and the blessing of sharing them with my family and friends.

Happy Eating!
Polly~ The Food Snob

No comments:

Post a Comment