10/16/10

Soup's On!

This gorgeous fall weather is just perfect for soup. Easy, nutritious, one pot meals that can be put on in the morning, and left to simmer lightly all day or even prepped from start to finish in about half an hour.

The other day we had Smoked Sausage/Potato Soup. This is one of those quick to fix meals! I started w/ chopped red onion, celery, and a little olive oil. Sauteeing and letting it 'sweat' for about five minutes, I added baby carrots, diced potatoes, and organic chicken broth. After about thirty minutes, in went some cream and sharp cheddar. Using my emulsifier, I brought it down to a creamy consistency leaving some of the vegetables intact. And last, chunks of smoked sausage were added to the pot. Salt and freshly ground peppercorns were my only spices. Mmmmm, mmmmm, good!

Heading to my store of homemade spicy marinara, frozen in quart Ziplocs, I prepared a simple Creamy Tomato Basil Soup for last night's meal. Thawed and heated through, this tomato based soup required little effort but resulted in another tasty meal. Organic chicken broth, cream, fresh basil, salt and pepper were stirred in. We garnished it with shaved Romano Pecorino, Pine Nuts, and more fresh basil. Toasted Garlic Bread was all we needed to round out our dinner.

Two deliciously satisfying meals for my family.

Checking out my fridge, I see yellow squash, garlic, red peppers, carrots, spinach, eggplant, poblanos, zucchini, broccoli, parsley, cilantro and more. I can choose from barley, brown rice and millet for grain additions. And a variety of beans/legumes are available: black, red kidney, navy, red lentils, chickpeas.

Wheels are turning. What shall I create tonight? Minestrone? Squash? Spinach with Nutmeg? Chicken/Rice/Lime? Imagination gives me limitless possibilities.

Thank you, God, for blessing us so!

Have a beautiful fall day!
Polly~ The Food Snob

No comments:

Post a Comment